Happy New Year again! It’s cold here in my neck of the woods so I thought I’d help everyone stay warm by providing a great winter meal we enjoy at our home.
The meal is a Vegetarian Three-Bean Chili with Chunky Tomatoes.
* 2 Tbsp canola oil
* 1cup onion, coarsely chopped
* 1/2 cup celery, rinsed and chopped
* 1 green bell pepper, rinsed and diced
* 1 can (15 1/2 oz) low-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
*1 can (15 1/2 oz) low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
*1 can (15 1/2 oz) low-sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
* 2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) no salt-added diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and
* 1 Tbsp ground cumin
* 1 Tbsp chili powder
In an 8-quart soup or pasta pot, heat the oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion. Cook and stir until onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add celery and green pepper. Cook and stir another 5 minutes, until all vegetables soften.
Add drained and rinsed beans to pot and then stir in tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10-20 minutes to blend flavors. Serve.
For those watching their waists, the serving size is 2 cups for a total of 443 calories. Serve 4 persons. Enjoy!